Re: EMF

The trouble is practical not theoretical. The term EMF is used
in textbooks from which students are learning. I would like
to start using another word (not force) for F; that is all.

On the other hand, voltage usually reefers to what a voltmeter
is reading. Since voltmeters are never ideal, one may argue,
then the EMF is not the same thing as voltage. But that is
another issue. The term voltage, with a qualifier, when
necessary, is certainly a good thing to do.
Ludwik Kowalski

"John S. Denker" wrote:

Ludwik Kowalski wrote:

Referring to the EMF my textbook states that the use of the
term electromotive force "is discouraged." We know why.
So what is the alternative?

What's wrong with "voltage"?
That's what I've always used.

Sometimes people apply the term EMF to a particular
type of voltage, to distinguish it from other
voltages in the problem. But in each case a more
descriptive term usually suggests itself. But it's
still a voltage, with appropriate adjectives attached.

In quite a few cases it makes sense to speak of the
Thévenin-equivalent open-circuit voltage, denoted
Vth or Voc. This solves the EMF problem for batteries
and motor/generators.

If there are other cases remaining unsolved, please
elaborate.