EMF

Referring to the EMF my textbook states that the use of the
term electromotive force "is discouraged." We know why.
So what is the alternative? I am hesitating between "frog"
(or frogging) and "food". The first has to do with the old
Galvani-Volta controversy, the second with energy. A
battery of 12 volts, for example, feeds (another f-word?)
each coulomb with 12 joules of energy, at it passes through
it. I think food is more appropriate. Any better alternative?
Ludwik Kowalski