Urban Fables: Stellar by Sunlight

I was amused to hear on NPR this morning that a denizen of a canyon retreat
reported he could see Venus at noon, from his deep canyon vantage.

Did this call to mind the "You can see stars from a deep shaft" urban
fable? Not so fabulous, it seems, if (and only if) you know where to look
for Venus by daylight.

So the debunking of daytime planetary sights is the urban fable after all.
This would have just been amusing, until I realised that there have been
many many people with telescopes capable of pointing at the brightest point
object in the sky by daylight for many years - but I never heard of a
confirmation before....
(You apparently don't need a telescope to see the effect, but you do need
to know where to look.)

Brian Whatcott
Altus OK Eureka!