Re: Virtual and Real Images

I forgot to add that images in ordinary flat mirrors
are always negative.

kowalskil wrote:

Ask them to trace rays through a thin lens whose f=10 cm,
for example, when s1=6 cm from a point-like object on the
axis. The beam emerging from the lens will diverge. Nothing
explicitly virtual so far. Then ask where, ACCORDING TO
THEIR DIAGRAMS will an observer watching the object
through the lens will see it. They will say 15 cm behind the
lens. But there is nothing there. That why we say the image
is not real. Make sure they use sharp pencils and rulers.
I hope this will help.
Ludwik Kowalski

Tina Fanetti wrote:

Hello all
No matter how I try to explain it to my students, I can't seem to get=
across the differences between a real and virtual image.

I told them that a real image could be formed on a screen, a virtual =
could not. A real image is where light converges. There is no conve=
rgences of light rays at a virtual image.

They are still confused and I am at a loss.

Ideas? Thanks

Tina Fanetti
Physics Instructor
Western Iowa Technical Community College
4647 Stone Ave
Sioux City IA 51102
712-274-8733 ext 1429