Solar Observing...

I've got a student working on a solar spectra problem. We're interested in
tracking an IR spectral line from the sun as observed from the earth, and
are beginning to think about how to accomplish this. The immediate problems
that come to mind are:

1- As it's Earth-based, we'll also have spectra from the atmosphere. Does
anybody happen to know of a solar line that is distinct from an atmospheric
one? Or a good source for determining this sort of thing?

2- We're wanting this to be as sensitive to wavelength as possible. Would
using a monochrometer and the photoelectric effect be valid here? Are there
plans available to make a monochrometer yourself?

3- As it's IR radiation, we'll probably have difficulties with the heat. I
have this vague concept of using a tiny pinhole and a variety of filters,
but I just don't have a feel for it. It may be that if the photoelectric
concept pans out well, it may not be a problem...

Any suggestions would be appreciated for a longtime lurker...

Dr. Gordon P. Smith
Visiting Professor of Physics and Astronomy
Appalachian State University
Boone, NC 28608