Re: Flame Tube

Greetings everyone. Recently, I have been having my student bring in "junk"
to school that may be used for later on in the school year. One of my
students brought in several computer speakers that are about 3 inches in
diameter. I remember a while back, I saw a demo of something called a "flame
tube", which was a long metal pipe with several small holes drilled into it.
The pipe is connected to a methane source. Either end of the pipe is sealed
with one side sealed with a speaker. When the gas is lit and the sound is
turned on and adjusted to create a standing wave, the flames will show this
according to their flame height.

Has anyone made anything like this? Can anyone make any recommnedations on
how to put one together?

Thanks,
Dwight'

My colleague made one here out of 3"-dia. pipe almost 6' long. Drilled the
holes by hand. We cut the palms out of latex gloves and duct tape them
over the ends and then put speakers up next to the membranes. Don't notice
much difference between just one speaker (one end only) and two (one on
each end).

Larry