Re: Re Thermal Energy

In a message dated 3/8/02 5:49:44 PM Eastern Standard Time, jsd@MONMOUTH.COM
writes:

<<
T= KE_ave/((3/2)*K where K is Boltzmann's constant
does the ball's increased kinetic energy cause it's temperature to
increase.

But that formula isn't right. That formula wrongly includes
nonthermal energy. Hint: There is such a thing as a
Maxwell-Boltzmann distribution, which differs from the
plain old Boltzmann distribution by a uniform shift in velocity.

I think John is correct here. The equation refers to average translational
kinetic energy in an ideal gas. However it is true, I believe, that this
measure of kinetic energy is related to absolute temperature of the gas by
the equation

KE_ave=3/2*K*T where K is Boltzmann's constant and T in
temperature in degrees Kelvin.

Bob Zannelli