Re: Thermal Energy - thermalization of rotational energy

At 02:59 08 03 2002 , you wrote:
Jim Green wrote:

> Now finally would someone please tell me what is meant
> by "thermal energy" and "thermalize"

In my vocabulary to thermalize means to transform organized
motion of zillions of molecules, either translational or rotational,
into disorganized (random) motion. Naturally, I am referring
to ALL molecules from which the object is made. Is this OK?

This would sever well as a definition, but I don't know how the word would
be used practically. I may be just confessing my inability here.

In organized motion knowing the momentum of one molecule
will allow me to predict the momentum of any other molecule
at the same time. In disorganized motion knowing p of one
molecule tells me nothing about the others. A macroscopic
object, like a drunk sailor, can move randomly but we would
not say his kinetic energy is thermalized each time he turns
unpredictably. Right?

Well, yes, sort of, if you used the term at all. If the p of one molecule
were known, that p could be anywhere in the distribution -- ie the system
could be at any energy level -- greater than that of the p molecule -- if
one were to allow for a very small system.

Jim

Jim Green
mailto:JMGreen@sisna.com
http://users.sisna.com/jmgreen