Re: Flat conductors

At 04:17 AM 3/8/02, Ludwik responded in this way to a detail of my earlier note
when he wrote:

[bw]
> ... But the ratio between the magnetic permeability of a
> sheet of material and free air is much lower than the
> electric permeability (conductivity) ratio between
> resistance paper and free air.

[lk]
I am a little confused by equating (?) permeability with
resistivity. You are probably saying that in electrostatics
"bending of E lines" at boundaries depends on the ratios
of the dielectric constants of two media while in
electrodynamics it depends of the ratio of resistivities?
Is this correct?

This was my train of thought: students are exposed to two
graphical field plots: magnetic flux with iron filings, and
isopotentials with resistance paper. It will be natural to compare
the graphical forms - I made explicit how I believe the two
presentations differ.

Now to answer your two questions above.
I WAS equating the phrase "electric permeability" to electrical
conductivity. Conductivity ratios as between many conductors
and air are much larger than ratios of magnetic permeability
between any materials and air.
I was not commenting on ratios of electric permittivity, where
a relation between incident and transmitted ray angle holds.

I am probably abusing the term "electrodynamics"; what
is the correct word for the "physics of current" when
magnetic fields are ignored?
Ludwik Kowalski

Treating this as a philological question, one muses on the
roots of the term offered: 'electro-' which refers to
an elementary charge carrier, and 'dynamics' which has to
do with the forces involved with motion. It seems to me that
the magnetic force is a consequence of the electric force in motion,
so that ignoring magnetism is to ignore a motional force - and so
perhaps electrokinetic might be a better term (except it is
unorthodox and thereby mystifying)

Brian W

[bw]

Brian Whatcott