Re: Thermal Energy

I wrote:

Rotational KE is somewhat unique in the following sense:
Barring external interactions the angular momentum of the
system will be conserved and it will not be possible to
thermalize the rotational energy. In this regard, it is more
like translational KE which is subject to the dictates of
linear momentum conservation. On the other hand, no external
interactions are required to thermalize the vibrational modes.

I should have mentioned as well that the status of rotational KE
would truly be identical to that of translational KE if there were
not a preferred rotational frame of reference. But unlike the
case for translation, there *is* an absolute rest frame for
rotation. As a result, we *can* determine absolute rotational
properties of a system, including rotational KE.