Re: Entropy Change Problem

Thanks to Bob Sciamanda and David Bowman for correcting my thinking. I now
start with a spontaneous process with the surrounding gas at T_g which is
less than the freezing temperature of the water(T_0) ,insulate the gas and
the water from the surroundings, and set conditions up so the gas ends up at
T_0 just as the last bit of water freezes by suitable choice of the ratio of
the gas and water masses and original gas temperature (T_g). I ask for the
net entropy change at this equilibrium point. Almost the same calculation
as my original post now leads to the net entropy change dS_net = dS_gas +
dS_ice = A[ln(1/x)/(1-x) - 1] where now A = mL_f/T_0 and x = T_g/T_0.

Now A > 0 and ln(1/x)/(1-x)- 1 > or = 0 for 0 < x < 1, so, indeed, dS_net >
or = 0.

Thank you!

Don Polvani
Anne Arundel Community College