Re: boundary conditions for relaxation method

At 13:07 2002/02/28, John Denker wrote:

Periodic boundary conditions will do the job here. This
is discussed, with an example spreadsheet, at
http://www.monmouth.com/~jsd/physics/laplace.html
Search for the word "periodic" in that document.

John, I looked at the "simple, introductory version" spreadsheet linked in
the above web page and played with it just a little, mostly by changing the
potential of the central electrode (which looks like a little doggie to me
;-) ).

I noticed a cool thing, which is that as the spreadsheet recalculates to
accommodate changes in the central potential, the color-coding of the
vacuum cells changes in concert with changes in the numbers. However, I
could not locate where you had set up the numeric ranges that determine a
particular color for each cell, or the algorithm (or macro?) that you used
to re-color each cell automatically. I am fairly proficient in Excel and
have done some macro programming, but have never seen this particular trick
pulled off before. Would you care to teach us a thing or two about this
excellent visualization technique? (Sorry, I know it's not directly related
to the physics, but I thought it was too interesting to ignore.)