Re: Flat conductors (was I need help).

Thanks, David. I suspect I was not the only one to be confused
because of the lack of sufficient theoretical knowledge. Now I
know what it was about and I do not feel bad for being confused.
If I had another life to live I would start investing in theoretical
physics and in mathematics. But physics can be fun at any level,
especially when resource people are available, like on Phys-L.
Ludwik Kowalski

David Bowman wrote:

Sorry to butt in (but merely being sorry will not stop me) regarding
the conversation between Ludwik K. & John D.:

At my level of familiarity with physics no wavelength is
used to describe electrostatic or d.c. phenomena. That is
why I am confused.

This seems to be the source of your misunderstanding. You are
correct that these phenomena do not entail wave phenomena. But when
John uses the term 'wavelength' he is *not* referring to a wavelike
*motion* in time of any medium. Rather he is imagining the
dissipative/diffusive behavior of the system as being decomposed
spatially in terms of various spatial Fourier modes, and then is
looking at the temporal behavior of each such mode. Since these
Fourier modes form a complete set, *any* disturbance pattern in space
at any instant of time can always be written as a superposition of
them. Each such mode involves sine (or cosine or complex exponential)
dependence as a function of a spatial coordinate/distance. Each such
basis sine wave disturbance *does* have a spatial period. It is quite
reasonable for John to call this spatial period a *wavelength*. It
is just that each such spatial disturbance does *not* propagate in
time as a wave because the behavior of the phenomenon is diffusive
(i.e. as in a parabolic PDE) and not wavelike (i.e. as per a
hyperbolic PDE).

Thus according to John's (and normal common usage in theoretical
physics) terminology he can speak of a wavelength without necessarily
meaning any kind of wavelike propagation behavior. The wavelength
is just the spatial period of an elementary Fourier basis mode in
space.

I suppose you are referring to a
transient adjustment of some kind. Whose equation of
motion and what kind of disturbance?

The equation is a diffusion equation (a parabolic PDE) and the
disturbance has a sine wave shape in space at each instant of
time. As time goes on the disturbance does not move in space.
It just weakens exponentially with time where the decay time is
proportional to the square of the disturbance's spatial period.

You are most likely
correct but I can not follow what you are saying. But I
am always happy to learn new things.
Ludwik Kowalski

Maybe this translation helps?

David Bowman