Re: Flat conductors (was I need help).

At 06:37 AM 2/27/02, John Denker wrote:
Ludwik Kowalski wrote:
> A very small current
> is always present in any electrostatic setup; right? Does it
> change distributions of E outside conductors significantly
> (with respect to an ideal distribution)? Probably not.

Saying "probably" sounds like a guess.
I _was_ going to say stop guessing, work it out.
But then I tried working it out myself. It's a nasty
tricky little problem to work out. So I'll just tell
you my approximate results. First of all, to keep things
from getting unreasonably complicated, I assumed that the
resistor paper was lying a distance L above a conducting
"ground plane". This gives me a definite capacitance per
unit area:.....

I believe John Denker's conception happened to be incorrect, in this case,
so I will appeal to (a potentially realisable) experiment.
1) Take a low resistance paper and apply the electrode potentials as before.
2) Affix a high resistance paper orthogonal to the line joining the two
electrodes
on the low resistance paper.
You will plot a novel distribution.

Brian Whatcott