Re: Direction of current

L!

I think you missed my point. the device switches the functions of a
d'Arsonval meter. The armature (pointer) is a permanent magnet, while the
field (normally supplied by a permanent magnet) is supplied by the mag.
field from the current carrying wire. The device has a channel in which
one places the wire. cute. So your web page alternately describes an
ammeter (angle of deflection of the compass is a fcn. of the current in the
wire.)

bc

Ludwik Kowalski wrote:

Two typos were corrected and some sentences were added
to my handout at:

http://blake.montclair.edu/~kowalskil/elec/hand.html

I might be adding other sentences but I will not ask students
how to insert an ammeter without disconnecting wires from the
battery. Not at the stage of learning with which I have to deal.
Ludwik Kowalski

Bernard Cleyet wrote:

which reminds me of the question: How may one determine the
current without breaking the wire and inserting an ammeter?

Device easily available at auto supply stores (I have a ~ 40 A one for
generator current and a ~ 200 A for starting current)

Critical comments will be appreciated. Feel free to use this
document in any way you wish. (I simply replaced the left
hand rule used by Chabay and Sherwood for electrons by
the right hand rule for the conventional current.)
Ludwik Kowalski