Re: Conceptual Tests

We call them "neutral grounds". Weird, no?

Sure, I might have understood it in context. Maybe I should have understood
it compared to street. All I know is that regionalisms appear on many tests
written by ETS, including the AP Physics exam. They aren't completely
regional as some people know them everywhere, but the percentage of
confusion varies by region.

I wonder why nothing from my region appears.

Similarly, people who aren't native speakers of English just know fewer
words in English and fewer meanings of those words that they do know.

People with vast cultural differences are in the same boat. I work in
admissions for my school. Foreign students do lousy on the usual sets of
standardized tests. They average something like 40 percentile points lower
than a native speaker of English in all sections -- math included. This same
group of students though has a much higher GPA than the native speakers of
English.

I spend a fair bit of time helping the non-native speakers deal with the
implied assumptions and strange wording (to them) that appear on the AP. It
helps their scores a lot.

Marc "Zeke" Kossover