From: Rick Tarara [mailto:rtarara@SAINTMARYS.EDU]
Sent: Tuesday, February 19, 2002 1:00 PM
To: PHYS-L@lists.nau.edu
Subject: Re: Conceptual Tests

I'm sitting here looking at a copy of the F&MCE and I really can't identify
any cultural specific question. We've got a sled (picture shown) being
pushed around, a car on a ramp, a car going through some basic motions,
collisions between cars and trucks (pictures shown). I won't let you argue
that the sled and ice are culturally discriminatory--Tina IS in Iowa (not to
mention exposure to things like the Olympics). So, I don't see the
'cultural' problem. Language yes, but there is where allowing extra time
and the use of a dictionary can work. I've done it for students here and
they've done fine. Sure there is an occasional question, word, or phrase
that is misunderstood, but I have that with my native-English speaking
students as well.

Rick

Richard W. Tarara
Professor of Physics
Saint Mary's College
Notre Dame, IN 46556
rtarara@saintmarys.edu

FREE PHYSICS INSTRUCTIONAL SOFTWARE
PC and MAC software
NEW! SIMLAB2001--DYNAMIC CARTS now available.
CD-ROMs now available