Re: Series, Parallel, and Resistivity Equations

interleaved below:

David Bowman wrote:

Regarding the analogies mentioned by John Cockman:

There are two analogies that I like to use when I introduce this subject:

Voltage is like a water tower high above the ground -- the water is current,

cut

.

The water-in-a-pipe analogy is *not* particularly accurate in terms
of modeling the behavior of electric current in an ohmic resistive
medium. The problem is not with the resistance being proportional to
the path length, but with it being inversely proportional to the
cross section area of the flowing current.

In its usual form the flow of a liquid through a pipes does *not*
have the same mathematical description of for the fluid flow as that
of DC electric currents in electrical conductors (unless the pipe
happens to be stuffed with a very fine-pore porous wadding). The

And you think the students know this? If they did, then there would be no need
to discuss the factors that determine electrical resistance.

Is this a case where an incomplete analogy is heuristic?

bc

cut