Re: Olympics curling question

At 15:36 2002/02/15, Cliff Parker wrote:
I checked this site last night but found no answers to my questions. Am I
missing something?

A quote from the glossary page [http://www.usacurl.org/glossary.html]:

=====

SWEEPING - players sweep to make the rock travel farther or to keep it from
curling more than desired. Good sweepers can increase the distance a stone
travels by as much as 15 feet. Sweeping creates a thin film of water under
the rock, allowing it to glide easier. Two players are ready to sweep each
shot.

=====

Apparently, the "rocks" can also be made to curve (curl?) to hit or avoid
other rocks that have already been played, by twisting on the handle as
they are released. Ice conditions affect the amount of curvature that can
be achieved.