Re: Chabay/Sherwood

On Fri, 15 Feb 2002, Ludwik Kowalski wrote:

Pedagogy aside, "Electric & Magnetic Interactions" of Chabay
and Sherwood is conceptually very unusual textbook. The idea
of static charges on the surfaces of wires with currents is worth
discussing. Was this discussed on Phys-L before? If so then
by whom and under what subject name?

See item #41 of your own post

<http://mailgate.nau.edu/cgi-bin/wa?A2=ind9802&L=phys-l&P=R9732>

It says

41) "Static electricity" applies to all circuits, not just to
drier cling and fur-rubbed plastic. Surface charges on the wires
are the cause of electric currents in circuits.

This was supposedly a collection of *misconceptions* from
textbooks so I'm not sure how to understand the comment.

At any rate, it is not a misconception. It is precisely the point
C&S are trying to make and it answers the question you pose in the
second paragraph of this message.

I keep having questions as I read. For example, "is it OK to
assume that surface charges create electric fields both inside
and outside the wires when the current is flowing?"