Re: Pedagogy of misconceptions.

I think that it is important to have enough classroom interaction to
let the student misconceptions arise naturally to be met. I DON'T
think that an author/instructor should ASSUME particular
misconceptions exist for certain topics.

Analogies are ok but need the appropriate 'waffle words' to keep them
from becoming ingrained misconceptions.

(DOESN'T the mean-free path and temperature (speed) of the electrons
affect conductance?)
I could see this 'Long and winding road' to be useful in discussing
conductivity.
One important point to make is that MOST of the 'motion' is NOT
directed along the wire. Most is random thermal shaking with slow,
steady net progress along the path. Drunkards Walk was a popular
analogy in the pre-PC days.

Superconductivity cries out for a suitable 'analogy' of the
transition from normal conductivity.

At 9:26 AM -0500 on 2/15/02, Ludwik Kowalski wrote
I was not questioning the pedagogy. But JohnB brings a
new and interesting issue. I try to follow the logic of the
textbook and I am confused by it. That is a penalty imposed
on me for NOT having wrong preconceptions. Is this OK?
Ludwik Kowalski

John Barrer wrote:

I believe the book may be written to take into account
the probable viewpoint(s) of a student new to the
topic and to recognize the likely preconceptions he or
she is likely to have. For example, twists and turns
on a path force you to move more slowly than if it
were straight. I think it's very understandable that

--