The source of our problems

FEEDBACK

<> [Inventiveness, exuberant energy, rebelliousness, a sense of fun, and

careless courage are among the qualities that made America. Today,
however, when we find such habits among the young, we scold, suppress,
suspend, arrest, or try to drug them away]

||| M MURPHY - That is true, but it is not new. America has had a strong

Calvinist streak since the beginning. It was nowhere stronger than in
New England, where the public school idea began. New England sent wave
after wave of schoolmarms into the West, ostensibly to teach the 3 R's.
But unconsciously they suppressed natural curiosity, devalued academic
achievement, rewarded toadyism and propagated the values that underpin
plutocracy. It was their brown-nosing little students who made the
public school system what it is today. Thanks to their small-minded
officiousness, America became the first corporate state with a rock
solid Calvinist foundation.