Half-pipe snowboarding

In the Olympic snowboarding event the snowboarder goes down one side of the
half-pipe and then rises as high as 10 feet above the other side.

If we did this with a bowling ball on a hard surface we would not expect the
additional potential energy unless we really pushed ot give it an increased
initial velocity as well as the gravitational PE that it has.

The athletes did not appear to have much forward speed going into this move.
What do they do to gain the extra height?

PS. on the Olympic website they had a series of photos of a man doing a 1080
degree spin.

James Braunsdorf
Mishawaka High School