Re: Moth Balls

Your explanation sounds reasonable but others on this list-serv
might be better qualified to answer your question.

Herb

On Mon, 11 Feb 2002 08:56:21 +0100 Gorazd Planinsic <gorazd@fiz.uni-lj.si> writes:
May I ask you about the experiment which is proposed on the Donald Simanek's web site? The text goes like this:

VARIABLE DENSITY. Moth balls rolled in sodium bicarbonate and put into a cylinder of very dilute hydrochloric acid will rise and fall with regularity. [HG]

I didn't have time to try the experiment yet, but it sounds interesting. Does it has to do with the small bubbles that are formed on the surface of the moth ball due to the chemical reaction between the sodium bicarbonate and acid? I suppose the bubbles will grow until they reach a certain size (ball goes up) and then they will leave the ball (ball goes down).

Looking forward to receive your answer

Best regards

Gorazd
Herbert H Gottlieb wrote:
Dear Gorazd,

It was a pleasure to receive your e-mail with the attachment of your
"Water-Drop Projector" article. I do not recall seeing this article
before. Perhaps the February 2001 copy of TPT arrived when I was out of
the country and I missed that particular issue. Your idea is especially
good for use with a small group of students as a laboratory exercise in
Biology or Physics classes.

Perhaps you are unacquainted with an older version of a water-drop
microscope.
To make one:

1. Cut a 2 cm X 6 cm metal rectangle from a discarded can of soup or
other food.

2. Using a small blunt instrument, such as the back of a ball-point pen,
press an indentation, about the size of a water drop, near one end of the
metal rectangle.

3. In the center of the indentation, drill a small hole (approximately
1-2 mm diameter).

4. Fold the metal in half (with the aid of a ball point pen) under itscenter making sure that the end with the indentation remains visible on
the upper section of the fold.

5. Fill the indentation with water. It should form a drop with a curved
upper surface due to the surface tension of the water. For the same
reason, the water will not leak through the hole at the bottom of the
drop.

6. Look though the water drop at microscopic specimens placed below.
Because the surface of the water drop is curved the specimen will appear
to be magnified.
If the specimen is out of focus, try adjusting the distance to the
specimen by pressing the halves of the bent metal closer together.

IT REALLY WORKS !

hERB

On Sun, 10 Feb 2002 19:01:16 +0100 Gorazd Planinsic