Re: Flat Earth

<<. After all Eratosthenes first
measure the earth's circumference in about 350 B.C.E. Since
historians don't spend much time talking with the uneducated, I don't
know how widespread that idea was with them much before Columbus'
time. Contrary to the stories about Columbus' sailors, I doubt many
seamen by that time doubted the sphericity of the earth. >>

Here's the real mystery. Since the time of Eratosthenes, any navigator
needed the knowledge of the size of the earth to translate a change in the
elevation of the North Star into a distance. So this knowledge was
widespread.

Columbus, as I understand it, claimed for the Earth a circumference about
half of the actual value, and on this basis equipped a fleet for a 5000-km
or so voyage to Japan. How could an experienced navigator have been so
wrong?

Chris Horton