Re: Coriolis myths and draining bathtubs - was Re: Supporting vs stifling curiosity

-----Original Message-----
From: Richard Hake [mailto:rrhake@EARTHLINK.NET]
Sent: Monday, February 11, 2002 6:22 PM
To: PHYS-L@lists.nau.edu
Subject: Coriolis myths and draining bathtubs - was Re: Supporting vs

[snip]

On the other hand, the misconception that the Coriolis force is so
small that its effects cannot possibly be observed in draining
bathtubs is prevalent among physics-department faculty in the great
research universities of the U.S.

[snip]

I admit I haven't read the references provided. I assume this is addressed
in the articles but...How prevalent IS this misconception among
physics-department faculty in the great research universities of the U.S.?

Given all of the highly precise measurements that physicists have been able
to carry out, I figured most would say it could be observed under very
controlled conditions (with "heroic" efforts). I am surprised that such a
misconception (that it is not possible to observe the effect) is prevalent.
Then again, I don't know what "prevalent" means.

P.S. Has anyone placed a plastic-pail bathtub on a merry-go-round with an
angular velocity omega EQUAL to that of the Earth? Does the effect go away
when the angular velocity is opposite that of the Earth. If the angular
velocity is opposite in direction and double in magnitude, does the
circulation reverse?

Robert Cohen; rcohen@po-box.esu.edu; http://www.esu.edu/~bbq
Physics, East Stroudsburg Univ, E. Stroudsburg, PA 18301