Re: Supporting vs stifling curiosity

I thought it was: "There shall be a balance of Research, Teaching and
Community Service". Now, depending where you put the fulcrum, that can
balance at 95% research, 3% teaching and 2% community service. Which way
is the wind blowing on your campus, *this year*?

Fortunately, the US legislature has issued a top down edict: either open
the funnel with outreach (and keep it open) or you cannot have a research
center. The top of that funnel is the general public, it narrows to
primary schools, then to secondary schools, then to our undergraduate
schools, then to our graduate schools, then to our post-docs, then to the
research labs. We are no longer afforded the luxury of living in our own
private world, unless, of course, we can fund it ourselves... Karl

Maybe I'm wrong and my school is the exception, but don't most schools have
a 'Community Service' component to faculty evaluation. It might not be of
_major_ importance in determining rank and tenure, but it is not (or should
not be) of zero importance. Mentoring kids in local schools fits right into
that slot!

Rick

We have a "Service" component, which generally means, "have you
done any committee work?" It's worth maybe 10% of the total. The message
is fairly clear.

Mike Monce
Connecticut College

Dr. Karl I. Trappe Desk (512) 471-4152
Lecture Demonstration Office Office (512) 471-5411
Physics Department, Mail Stop C-1600 Home (512) 264-1616
The University of Texas at Austin
Austin, Texas 78712-1081