Re: Supporting vs stifling curiosity

Ed and Laura Eckel wrote:

I wonder if the teachers everyone refers to are really such awful teachers or human
beings.
My point is that the teachers out in the world are not incompetent hacks.
a fraction of the readership ... may not find your words particularly
collegial.

Hmmm.

I don't recall anyone labeling "the teachers out in the world"
as hacks or awful teachers or awful human beings.

There is another way to look at what's been said, namely that
teaching is hard and nobody was born knowing how to do it.
Discussing mistakes, so that I and my colleagues may learn
from them, seems to me the essence of collegiality.

consider working to change the system.

That's a good idea also, but is neither necessary nor sufficient
to remedy some of the curiosity-supporting ideas discussed in
this thread. Anyone care to start a new thread?