Re: Batteries

A clever student may observe that "electrification by contact, as
far as we know, involves dielectric materials. What does a set
of metallic plates, for example, Cu and Zn, immersed in a dish
with salty water, have to do with rubbing a glass rod with silk?
I do not know why charges are separated through electrification
by friction; how can my ignorance help me to understand what
happens in the dish?"

And I do not remember any explanations of the electrification
by contact, only a description of it. Therefore I still feel that
I have nothing to lean on when trying to explain the nature
of something that takes electrons away from Cu and delivers
them to Zn via salty water. I can introduce proper vocabulary
and use it to describe what happens, I can measure how much
of it happens in different situations, I can describe chemical
reactions taking place, etc. All this is highly desirable and we
do it. But I can not explain batteries, or contact electrification,
in terms of something else. Compare this with the P*V=n*R*T,
for example. We can not only describe this relation, we can also
explain it in terms of molecular collisions.

May I suggest that somebody who has a good explanation of
electric batteries (for example, based on a textbook) posts it here,
or on a website. Then we can discuss its appropriatness for a
first physics course. The best I was able to do so far was to use
the water pump analogy, as described at the very end of my
handout:

http://blake.montclair.edu/~kowalski/elec/flash.html

It was an addendum to a comment made by William Betty last
summer. The analogy helps to figure out "how does a battery
know what to do?" The windmill stops turning when the
pressure of water matches the constant wind (and it turns
very rapidly when a lot of water is escaping lowering the
pressure. But the analogy has nothing to do with "forces
responsible for separation of unlike charges."

I am not criticizing what we do, I am only recognizing a
situation in which an explanation is not possible in terms
of what students already know in an introductory course.
There is nothing tragic in this; describing what happens is
a valuable preliminary step in learning something new. The
reason I was referring to "work function" has to do with
what JohnD wrote after my draft was posted in August.
Ludwik Kowalski

Chuck Britton wrote:

I would suggest that students ARE familiar with 'electrification by
contact' (often erroneously limited to FRICTIONAL charging). There is
no reason to use the term 'work function' until the time is right.
Only when the time is right (it comes up on the syllabus) is the term
used and THEN it can be related BACK to the PAST discussion of
charging by contact.

At 1:19 PM -0500 on 2/10/02, Ludwik Kowalski wrote
in order to
follow your advice I would have to violate a basic rule of
good teaching; I would have to explain something in terms
of something to be learned later.

<snip>

but the concept of "work function" does not exist in
the minds of my students. Therefore they have nothing to
link battery cells with. The concept of the DOP produced
by a cell can not be linked with something which may
or may not be introduced to them later. But the link must
be made when the work function is introduced. Lean on
the past, do not lean on the future. That should be the
basic teaching principle.