Bode's Law

Friends & Neighbors,
Several posts of late have been directed at laws that apparently should not be graced with the title of law. In my dim and far removed undergraduate days, I stumbled across Bode's Law. For those who are not familiar with said law, it goes like this: write down the "series" 0, 3, 6, 12, 24, 28, ..... then add 4 to each of the members and finally divide each sum by 10. The resulting set of numbers give the average orbital radius in AU for the planets. It was rumored that people looking for a planet in one of these predicted orbits stumbled upon the presence of the asteroids. From this observation was hatched the idea of a protoplanet that came apart forming the asteroids.
I find it remarkable that some numerologic fiddling produced the orbital radii. Is there something in mechanics that would even somewhat apertain to this series of orbital values?