Re: Electric Potential

At 01:11 PM 2/6/02, Michael Edmiston wrote:
If students understand that a region of zero electric field can have
non-zero potential, they are on the road to understanding the two concepts.
If they think zero electric field implies zero potential, then they have
some conceptual bugs that need worked out.
Michael D. Edmiston, Ph.D.

I found this homily helpful. I endlessly reify the field.
Then I remember that the word 'field' is a construct
to signify the observation of a force on a suitable object exerted
at a distance. So if I know that a massy object in a spherical massy shell is
free drifting, I know there is no gravitational field, by definition:
and if a charged object in a charged spherical sphere drifts free,
there's no electric field there evidently!

Brian Whatcott
Altus OK Eureka!