Re: energy in the tank

I think the problem is that instructors know that
"high energy ATP" means that "when ATP reacts to form
other compounds in a certain way, energy is released
in the process". WBut when students hear "high energy
ATP bond" or "high energy ATP", they all too often
interpret this as meaning that energy is in fact
stored in the ATP bond. Regardless of where you choose
your zero reference level, energy is released as the
ATP (or any other) bond forms. Maybe it's not a major
issue, but I would prefer that students not think of a
chemical bond as being analogous to a compressed
spring. After all, which is more stable, a chemical
bond or a compressed spring? I don't think it's a
matter of PC-ness or nitpicking. John Barrere
--- "John S. Denker" <jsd@MONMOUTH.COM> wrote:
Jon Greenberg wrote:

As a former biology teacher, I'll freely admit
that we are probably the main
culprits in this story. ("High energy ATP" and all
that). The mixed-up story
of reaction thermo presented in most bio classes
is conceptually appealing
to the chemically naive because it makes intuitive
sense and is simpler than
the story we've been discussing here.
Unfortunately, it happens to be wrong.

I still haven't seen any physics-based grounds
for objecting if someone wants to speak of
"high-energy ATP".

This sounds to me like political correctness,
not physics. Sneering at "high-energy ATP"
seems as pointless as declaring war on those
who open their eggs on the wrong end.

http://www.online-literature.com/swift/gulliver/5/

If I'm being naive, please enlighten me.
Please give an example of a logical contradiction
and/or an experimental result that is incompatible
with measuring energy in such a way that ATP has
high energy. (Politically-correct fashion
statements
are not requested.)