Re: Confused by a derivation.

"RAUBER, JOEL" wrote:
How do you prove the E field is zero inside an ideal
conducting material?

For electrodynamics, I don't.
For electrostatics, see below.

I do it with Gauss' Law (and the electro-static equilibrium
assumption).

I do it with no Gauss's Law at all:

I beat you to the punch and rescinded my comment after reading Bob's
objection (the same as yours). :-)

This tells me that in some fashion Gauss' Law is sufficient
for deducing
zero field in the conductor and hence the rest of the arguement.

Not quite.

You need at least:
-- definition of conductor
(You can't prove anything about conductors without
invoking the definition of conductor!)
-- definition of "static" as in "electrostatic"
-- Coulomb force law.
(It doesn't help to know the fields if you
don't know how charges respond thereto.)
-- Gauss's law, or some other way to work out the fields.

The need for these definitions is why I carefully wrote in the words "in
some fashion", of course, its moot for reasons pertaining to your first
objection!

Joel R