Re: Lab Report

MIT

On Tue, 5 Feb 2002, Bernard Cleyet wrote:

Where did you people (HG & JU) go to school??

b c

Hugh Haskell wrote:

At 14:24 -0500 2/3/02, Stuart Leinoff wrote:

My son sent me the following URL with (I believe) a tongue-in-cheek example of
an undergraduate physics lab report.

http://www.cs.wisc.edu/~kovar/hall.html

I'm wondering if anyone else sees an element of truth in it?

Having been through this exercise (not that particular expt., but the
process described) many times, from both sides of the podium, I can
sympathize completely. I just wish some of my students who suffered
many of the same frustrations (as I did in trying to set up a lab
exercise that had a chance of working), had had the guts to write
their lab up in similar language.

Maybe if there were more lab reports of this nature, the quality of
lab exercises might be improved.

Hugh
--

Hugh Haskell
<mailto://haskell@ncssm.edu>

(919) 467-7610

have to..

"But as much as I love and respect you, I will beat you and I will kill
you, because that is what I must do. Tonight it is only you and me, fish.
It is your strength against my intelligence. It is a veritable potpourri
of metaphor, every nuance of which is fraught with meaning."
Greg Nagan from "The Old Man and the Sea" in
<The 5-MINUTE ILIAD and Other Classics>