Arithmetic, Algebra, and Benezet (was Re: Arithmetic and Algebra)

Please excuse this LONG post. TO AVOID CROWDING HARD-DRIVES PLEASE
DON'T HIT THE REPLY BUTTON! Because Benezet's work should be of
interest to mathematicians, physicists, and educators generally, I
hope subscribers will forgive my cross-posting to discussion lists
with archives at:

PhysLrnR <http://listserv.boisestate.edu/archives/physlrnr.html>,
Phys-L <http://mailgate.nau.edu/archives/phys-l.html>,
Physhare <http://lists.psu.edu/archives/physhare.html>,
POD <http://listserv.nd.edu/archives/pod.html>.

I have set off most quotes by bracketing them with the authors NAME, as"

NAME-NAME-NAME-NAME-NAME-NAME-NAME-NAME-NAME-NAME-NAME-NAME
Name wrote "Blah, blah, blah."
NAME-NAME-NAME-NAME-NAME-NAME-NAME-NAME-NAME-NAME-NAME-NAME

In the recent Math-Learn thread "Arithmetic and Algebra," initiated
by Michael Paul Goldenberg's 29 Jan 2002 00:10:11-0500 post regarding
Andre Dehaene's (1997) conclusion that algebraic calculation and
arithmetic are processed in different brain regions, there have
recently been several interesting comments regarding the ground
breaking work of Louis Paul Benezet (1935/36). [Some of the relevant
posts may be accessed by typing "Benezet" in the "Search Archive"
slot at the primitive Math-Learn archives
<http://groups.yahoo.com/group/math-learn/>, for 10 hits as of 5
February 2002 8:00:00-0800.] The following are my responses (R) to
four Math-Learn comments(C) on Benezet:

111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111
C1-C1-C1-C1-C1-C1-C1-C1-C1-C1-C1-C1-C1-C1-C1-C1-C1-C1-C1-C1