Re: Car acceleration

In a message dated 2/5/2002 8:15:14 PM Central Standard Time, ajmallinckro@CSUPOMONA.EDU writes:

> ajmallinckro@CSUPOMONA.EDU writes:
>
> > 1. Using pseudowork = change in KE
> >
> >       Fd = mv^2/2 => v = sqrt(2Fd/m)
>
> If you are saying static friction is doing work, then how do you explain it
> does no work on a disk rolling down an incline?

But I'm *not* saying that static friction is doing work here. I'm
saying it is doing pseudowork.  It also does pseudowork (of the
negative gender) on a disk rolling down an incline.

This is confusing to me and I suspect to students.  Why not find the force that is really doing work and go from there?

Bob Carlson