Re: Confused by a derivation.

> Now bring a plate of the same dimensions with equal and opposite
> charge -Q nearby. Consequently, all of the charge on each plate
redistributes to the internally facing surfaces:

===========
+++++++++++

-----------
===========

The charged sides now have charge density +/-s. We again superpose
the fields (+/-s)/(2*eps0) due to each of these two infinite sheet
charges. The result is s/eps0 between the two sheets and zero
everywhere else (ie. in the bulk of each plate and outside the
capacitor). This is again the standard textbook result.

All clear? Carl

not really Unless I'm missreading, you've changed the definition of G's
law. with + & - charges on their respective plates the charges reside
on the insides (except for fringing), as you wrote. Therefore, a G.
pillbox with flat sides in a conductor and between will enclose one
Q/area; the field will be (Q/area) / kappa sub zero.

But that IS s/eps0. Okay? As John D said, you can do superposition or
you can do Gauss' law and both methods give the same answer.

It is not at all obvious that the field
due to two isolated planes of charge is the same as the
field due to charges residing on conducting plates.

But it IS so (neglecting fringe fields and charge pile-up on the
sharp corners at the edges). Whether the plates are conducting or
insulating is a red herring. Put +Q and -Q on two conducting plates.
The field in-between will be s/eps0. Now repeat for two insulating
plates (where you manually spread the charge out uniformly over the
surfaces - doesn't matter whether you do it only on one side or
both). You get the same field for conductors or insulators.

The problem is that you cannot get an isolated plate to look like one
component of a parallel pair (without an external E-field). <snip>
The field inside the conductor is not zero 'because the
fields cancel', but 'because there are no lines there at all'.

I consider this to be mere semantics. I can say they cancel, you can
say there are none. We're both right, that's the beauty of linear
superposition. Carl
--
Carl E. Mungan, Asst. Prof. of Physics 410-293-6680 (O) -3729 (F)
U.S. Naval Academy, Stop 9C, Annapolis, MD 21402-5026