Re: Confused by a derivation.

I remember studying this for the first time and my initial reaction.
For an isolated plate, the field is Q/(2Ae), that is easy - the charge
arranges on both sides of the plate.
When an opposite plate is brought close, the charges 'all' move to one
side, doubling the field on that side to Q/(Ae). But the other plate also
produces Q/(Ae), and E-fields add, so the total should be 2(Q/(Ae)). The
field is zero inside the conductors because the two fields cancel out there.

The problem is that you cannot get an isolated plate to look like one
component of a parallel pair (without an external E-field). This is one
example of where field line diagrams with field lines associated with
specific charges helps to visualize what is happening. The field strength
between two parallel plates is only double the value for an isolated plate
because there are twice as many field lines (originating on twice as many
charges on the one side). There are not four times as many field lines,
because those same field lines terminate on the opposite plate. They do
not keep going, and there is not a similar set of lines associated with the
opposite plate. The field inside the conductor is not zero 'because the
fields cancel', but 'because there are no lines there at all'.