Re: Car acceleration

On Mon, 04 Feb 2002 13:09:49 -0500 Scott Goelzer <sgoelzer@EARTHLINK.NET> writes:
> Is this a valid demo?
>
> Take a toy pull-back car. Pull it back and let it go. Ask what made
> it go? Student responses vary (usually the spring made it go) but seldom
> mention the table. Pull back the car, lock the drive wheels with fingers,
> release the car over the table in the air. Much spinning and noise, but no
> forward motion until contact with the table. The table provides the forward force that makes the car go.
>
> Place a file folder on a bed of straws so that it slides freely.
> Place wound-up car on file folder and release. Car pushes road backwards.
> I've been using this for years as a third law/friction demo.

Newton's third law says that for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction. The usual example is a rocket ship in space with the rocket exhaust
providing the "action" and the thrust of the rocket as the "reaction.  Please
explain (in simple language, if possible)  the part that friction plays