Re: Speed of Mechanical Wave

At 06:31 PM 2/1/02, you wrote:
I understand that the speed of a sound wave in air is inversely
proportional to the density (possibly the square root of the density?)
of the air, all other factors being the same.

Can anyone supply a metaphor or way of seeing that this is true that
might help high school students to understand this relationship. I
started to explain it and found that my metaphors were showing the
reverse so I clearly have a misunderstanding of the phenomenon.

Any help appreciated. Thanks, David Abineri-
David Abineri
dabineri@choice.net

Hmmm....a metaphor: how about this one:

Where black is white