Date: Thu, 31 Jan 2002 08:15:13 -0600
From: Tina Fanetti <FanettT@QUEST.WITCC.CC.IA.US>
To: PHYS-L@lists.nau.edu
Subject: Physics Test and Integration

Hi all
I was wondering. I am teaching calc-based intro physics. Most of th=
e students are in Calc 2. So they don't know much integration beside=
s the basics.

When you give them tests in electricity and magnetism, how do you han=
dle the integration? Do you give them the integrals they need, do yo=
u "fix" the problems so the integration is basic or do you just tell =
them to work the problem down to the integral and leave it in integra=
l form.

I am worried that 1) they will panic, 2) they will miss a method and =
make the integral harder, 3) I'll screw up and give them a harder pro=
blem that requires more integration than they know...

I was curious as to how other handle this.=20

Clear Skies
Tina

Tina Fanetti
Physics Instructor
Western Iowa Technical Community College
4647 Stone Ave
Sioux City IA 51102
712-274-8733 ext 1429

Matthew E. Briggs, Faculty Assoc., Physics Department
Rm 3502 Sterling Hall, (608) 265-3304, fax (608) 263-0800
meb@physics.wisc.edu
Address:
Physics Department, 1150 University Ave, Madison, WI 53706