Old Berkeley Physics Labs

I just dredged up from a dark corner some of the equipment and
manuals for the Berkeley Physics Labs of the '60's and '70's.

I connected the crt (3BP1) as per instructions to an original
powersupply.

I get a beam, but am unable to focus it to a spot smaller than about
1/2 cm across. The smallest spot is obtained with very little bias
voltage (instead of the suggested 4 1/2 V) and very little voltage on
the first grid (C+).

There is negligible ripple in both the C and B power supplies.

If anyone has experience with this CRT and can suggest how to focus
better, I will appreciate a response off line to the e-mail address
below.

Thanks!

Bob Muir muirrob@uncg.edu
Physics & Astronomy 336-334-3255
UNC Greensboro, NC 27402-6170
Life is NOT a dress rehearsal.
The trouble with reality is -- it's never the
way you imagine it! -- Moira (For Better or
for Worse)