Re: New Theories Dispute the Existence of Black Holes

But the paper does not claim the non-existence of Black holes.
What it does do is claim another solution to the Einstein
equations that can simulate some of the effects of a black hole. What
the authors seem to be doing is making a model where a collapsing star
collapses into a spherical shell rather than simply shriveling into a
volume that eventually recedes inside an event horizon. The spherical
shell is located at the radius that would correspond to the event horizon
for the star's mass. Their claim seems to be that this mode of collapse
evades the Chandrasekhar limit.
It would be interesting to see whether this "shell game model"
is subject to buckling instability when it accretes matter (and is subject
to gravitational forces) from nearby companions.
The quoted article seems to confuse the concepts of "event
horizon" and the singularity inside the event horizon. That singularity
is intrinsically unobservable, and a mathematical demonstration that it is
somehow "softened", whether by quantum mechanics or otherwise, would be
interesting, but hardly significantly earth-shaking
(to those outside of the event horizon).
Regards,
Jack