Re: New Theories Dispute the Existence of Black Holes

This posting, apparently cribbed from the magazine "New Scientist"
contains enough inaccurate "spin" to be worthy of an Anderson accountant.
Here is the abstract from the actual paper (which, at 4 pp., isn't much
longer than the extravagant posting):
See gr-qc/0109035 in the ArXiV. I am not copying the original
posting.

A new kind of static, spherically symmetric solution to Einstein's
equations is described. The solution is characterized by an interior de
Sitter region of gravitational vacuum condensate and an exterior
Schwarzschild geometry of arbitrary total mass M. These are separated by a
shell with a small but finite proper thickness of ultracold matter with
the extreme relativistic equation of state p=\rho, replacing both the
Schwarzschild and de Sitter classical horizons. The new solution has no
singularities, no event horizons, and a globally defined timelike Killing
field. Its entropy is maximized under small fluctuations and is given by
the standard hydrodynamic entropy of the thin shell, instead of the
Bekenstein-Hawking entropy formula. Hence unlike black holes, the new
solution is thermodynamically stable and has no information paradox. The
formation of such a cold (1 \mu K) gravitational condensate stellar
remnant very likely would require a violent collapse process with an
explosive output of energy.

--
"But as much as I love and respect you, I will beat you and I will kill
you, because that is what I must do. Tonight it is only you and me, fish.