Support for new teachers. Was: Physics for Electricians

Tina wrote:

-----Original Message-----
From: Tina Fanetti [mailto:FanettT@QUEST.WITCC.CC.IA.US]
Sent: Wednesday, January 16, 2002 2:24 PM

I am a first year teacher, I am an idiot.

You're a first year teacher, but certainly not an idiot. You're frustrated,
but I assume that you didn't just walk in off the street to get hired as an
instructor.

Don't sell yourself short, and don't be so impatient! Teaching is a craft
which takes time to master - but, you obviously care about what you're
doing, and you've tapped into a superb support network on this list. I'd
urge you also to connect with the Iowa Section of AAPT for face-to-face
interaction with peers. Here's a list of officers and contact information I
grabbed from the national AAPT web site:

Jeffery Dilks
President
Ames High School
1921 Ames High Dr
Ames, IA 50010
work: (515) 239-2710
jdilks@ames.k12.ia.us

Lawrence Todd Escalada
Teacher's Award Committee
University of Northern Iowa
Dept of Physics
#205 Physics Building
Cedar Falls, IA 50614-0150
work: (319)273-2431
fax: (319) 273-7136
Escalada@uni.edu

Wade Sick
Nominating Committee
Southwestern Comm Coll
1501 W Townline
Creston, IA 50801
work: (515) 782-1489
fax: (515) 782-3312
sick@swcc.cc.ia.us

Michael Arnett
President Elect
Kirkwood Comm Coll
Cedar Rapids, IA 52403
work: (319) 398-5545
marnett@kirkwood.cc.ia.us

Lawrence Todd Escalada
Vice Pres - Univ/4 Yr. Coll
#205 Physics Building
Cedar Falls, IA 50614-0150
work: (319)273-2431
fax: (319) 273-7136
Escalada@uni.edu

Bill Sutton
Vice President - High Schools
Benton Community High School
600 First Street
Van Horn, IA 52346
work: 319288701
bsutton@benton.k12.ia.us

Craig Kletzing
Secretary
University of Iowa
Dept of Physics & Astronomy
Van Allen Hall
Iowa City, IA 52242
work: (319) 335-1904
fax: (319) 335-1753
craig-kletzing@uiowa.edu

Mario Affatigato
Past President
Coe College
Dept of Physics
1220 First Avenue
Cedar Rapids, IA 52402
work: (319) 399-8483
maffatig@coe.edu

David E. Meltzer
Section Representative
Iowa State Univ
Dept of Physics/ Astronomy
Ames, IA 50011-3160
work: (515) 294-9358
fax: (515) 294-6027
dem@iastate.edu

Did I mention that I am an idiot?

Yes - but I don't believe it, and I don't think you really believe it! I
won't let my students make that claim, and you shouldn't make it, either!

"I don't know the key to Success. But the
key to failure is trying to please
everybody."
-Bill Cosby

George Spagna