Re: motion sensors

on 1/11/02 9:28 AM, Carl E. Mungan at mungan@USNA.EDU wrote:

snip

3. Dan recommends adding a "sail" or "flag" reflector to the carts to
improve return signals. I'm a bit worried about air drag - how large
a flag is optimal?

snip

There are probably other good questions about using the sensors. I'd
be interested in hearing tricks and tips from others. Carl
--
Carl E. Mungan, Asst. Prof. of Physics 410-293-6680 (O) -3729 (F)
U.S. Naval Academy, Stop 9C, Annapolis, MD 21402-5026

Instead of a sail or flag on the object,
cut the corner off a box
(three triangles joined to make right angles - I cut mine about 10 cm each
side) and make a cheap retroreflector. This always gives me _great_ low
noise results and maybe less air resistence.

Scott

S.Goelzer
Physics Teacher
Coe - Brown Northwood Academy