Re: Effective HS Physics (was Statistics / more ...)

Dan, please give us the reference to Sadler's article.

Jon

At 09:16 PM 1/2/02, Dan MacIsaac wrote:

If you are looking to predict success
in college physics, look for whether the HS physics teacher used no text.
(after Sadler's recent _science education_ article)
Dan M

In APA format (widely used in Sci Educ Rsch, including by this journal):

Sadler, P.M. & Tai, R.H. (2001). Success in introductory college physics:
The role of high school preparation. Science Education, 85(3), 111-137.

An outstanding article of years of preparation. SE is either the #1 or #2
journal in the field of SER, depending on the particular calendar year.

I strongly recommend interested parties read this article; I just cited it
in a manuscript on physics teaching reform and will again.

Dan M

PS -- there are many reform-style physics curricula that eschew "texts"
like modeling (download the curriculum from http://modeling.la.asu.edu>);
Law's _Workshop Physics_, AAPT's _PIPS_. These curricula frequently ring
the bells in PER/SER studies and evaluations.

Dan MacIsaac, Assistant Professor of Physics and Astronomy, Northern AZ Univ
danmac@nau.edu http://purcell.phy.nau.edu PHYS-L list owner