Re: Colors

From: James Braunsdorf
Subject: Re: Colors
I don't have the reference but I recall an article from a language study
about the names that colors have and the fact that different languages have
not always divided the color spectrum up the same way.

Don't the Japanese differ from us in distinguishing between blue and
green? http://www.tjf.or.jp/eng/ge/ge12iro.htm

About that original question... if learning and culture determine our
perceptions, perhaps I really do see red where you see blue, but also I
associate red with emotional coolness, with the color of the sky and
ocean, while I think of blue as hot metal, fire, and sunsets. The above
Japanese page details some cultural associations with colors that are very
different than in the USA.

billb@eskimo.com http://www.amasci.com
Seattle, WA 206-789-0775 freenrg-L taoshum-L vortex-L webhead-L