Re: virtual images and convex lenses

Tim Forth wrote:
I put the screen in the spot where the
image of the lamp was in focus and then I slid it down to create a split
screen effect, seeing at the same time both the image projected on the wax
paper and the magnifying glass directly.

Not only were they the same size, but every edge continued off the paper
into the lens with nary a break. My eyes were able to focus on both
simultaneously,

Let me suggest a variation on this experiment:

Use two lamps, one about 2f beyond the glass, and the other
much farther away. I assume z-2f is more than 1 foot (the
accommodation limit of the eye).

eye......image1..image2...lens..........lamp1............lamp2

The eye will be able to accomodate one image and then the
other, taking turns, but not both simultaneously.

You will perceive a reasonably natural scene.

You will _not_ however be able to find any particular
place to put the wax-paper screen such that "every edge" will
continue with nary a break.

You will perceive that lamp2 is very, very far behind lamp1,
even though image2 is only a small distance (f) behind image1.

This serves to drive home the point that the perception of
looking through a telescope is very different from the
perception of looking at real images in a camera obscura.