Re: tides (again)

9 hours and no one has answered Justin?

Probably because the CM of E and moon not being coincident with the CM of the earth has little to do with the "double tide." The archive has much regarding the cause of the "double bulge" (PIC to some).

bc

P.s. When ever you see the phrase "centrifugal force" consider it a red flag. Much in the archive on that too, tho prob. well hidden.

Justin Parke wrote:

I was looking at an article the astronomy teacher was handing out to her class (9th grade earth science) which claimed that the second high tide in a day was caused by the fact that the earth does not rotate around its geometric center but that the earth and moon each revolve around their common center of mass. The article said, basically, that it is a centrifugal effect. I am suspicious of this explanation (as I am with most explanations in earth science texts). My suspicion does not lie in how the earth-moon system rotates, but that this could cause a "tidal bulge" on the side of the earth opposite the moon.

I have searched the archives of this list and found volumes on tides but none mentioned this effect (that I saw). Any comments?